Two face charges that they smuggled children

By Christopher Symington and Jason J. Barry, Record-Journal staff

MERIDEN — A federal grand jury indicted a Meriden man Tuesday in connection with a child smuggling ring that brought children from Africa to Meriden and on to Canada.

The indictment charges Hussein Mutungirehe, 38, a citizen of Rwanda believed to have lived at 8 Hobart St. until last month, with several counts of conspiracy to bring alien children into the United States, bringing a minor into the country for private financial gain and harboring and concealing minors in his Meriden apartment.

Also indicted was Abiba Kanzayire, 35, also a citizen of Rwanda, who authorities believe falsely used visas issued for her own children to bring minors into the country and to Mutungirehe's Hobart Street apartment, where the children stayed while waiting to be moved.

Authorities could not specify the ages of the children, but said they are roughly between 6 and 10 years old. None of the children were allowed to go to school, and at least one of them was forced to do inside chores.

Both Mutungirehe or Kanzayire have been arraigned and are in custody. It is unclear when they may face the charges in court.

The indictment details the smuggling of at least three children, who authorities believe entered the country with Kanzayire between October 2002 and September 2003. Officials could not say who sent the children, nor did the indictment indicate the children were kidnapped.

"We don't know who is asking the smugglers to bring the children into the country, or why," Kevin J. O'Connor, U.S. Attorney for Connecticut, said. "Our concern is that people are circumventing the law and we're talking about the safety and well-being of the children ... We can't take the chance, frankly."

Officials believe the conspiracy involved other people, who planned to bring the children from Africa into the U.S. and then to Canada. According to the indictment, at least two of the children were brought into the country through Kennedy International Airport in New York, and brought to Mutungirehe's home by both him and Kanzayire.

O'Connor said that while the charges do not include kidnapping or stealing of children, the investigation is continuing and more charges are expected.

"We don't always know what the real motive is but we do not allege this was kidnapping," O'Connor said. The pair is being paid "for their role in the transporting and smuggling, not the selling of the child."

A woman speaking Swahili answered the door at 8 Hobart St. Tuesday night. The woman, Denise Kabatesi, said Mutungirehe is her husband and he has nothing to do with child smuggling. A friend, Ndayisenga Harerimana, translated for her. Through Harerimana, Kabatesi said she and her husband are originally from Rwanda and have lived in Meriden for two years and four months. Kabatesi said her husband is wrongly accused.

"He doesn't know anything about it," she said.

Slowly, three young boys emerged from different rooms in the apartment. One boy held an infant. Kabatesi said she had five children of her own, all by Mutungirehe.

Kabatesi claimed that Kanzayire was responsible for the child smuggling and that she had been to the apartment only once.

"It was her, not him. He doesn't know what is going on," she said.

Mutungirehe is believed to have come to the United States in early 1998 and was granted refugee status about eight months later.

Kanzayire last attempted entry into the country in September, and after being questioned by officials at Newark International Airport, was paroled into the country and directed to appear in Hartford for further inspection. She failed to make that appearance and was subsequently caught trying to transport one of the children across the border to Canada.

O'Connor could not say whether or not Kanzayire was still in the U.S. Tuesday.

"It's essentially an illegal immigration ring ... but it's exclusively to children," O'Connor said. "We believe this is part of a much broader problem across the country."

The two are reportedly in custody, though authorities could not say where.

The case was investigated by agents of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the FBI. State police and U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers also assisted.

If convicted on all charges, Mutungirehe and Kanzayire could face up to 45 years in prison and a maximum fine of $250,000 per count.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(203) 317-2227

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(203) 317-2475