In Uganda, Terror Forces Children's Nightly Flight
By Emily Wax
Washington Post Foreign Service
Friday, February 13, 2004; Page A01
GULU, Uganda -- Night was falling quickly. In the faded red and orange light of Africa at dusk, two 15-year-old girls, Jennifer Adoch and Susan Oyella, arms linked, backs straight, hair tightly shaved, hiked dusty trails without shoes, their feet swollen and callused.
[See the attached file] [See the attached file] [See the attached file]
They walked with thousands of other children, all rushing away from the danger of nighttime rebel raids on their villages and toward the safety of the town center to sleep. Tiny boys in tattered clothing, girls with chubby cheeks clutching ragged dolls, others with foam mattresses balanced on their heads, others with nothing at all were walking. Jennifer and Susan sang a marching song. "People in Gulu are suffering. Education is poor. Communication is poor. There are no more virgins in Gulu," the girls sang sweetly in English. "They were all raped. Hear us now: There are no more virgins in Gulu." T he children are called simply "the night commuters." About 15,000 young Ugandans trek every evening from more than 300 villages, some more than five miles away, into the safety of Gulu, about 175 miles north of the capital, Kampala. Other towns in northern Uganda, such as nearby Lira and Kitgum, also have their nightly flood of children. Rebels from the Lord's Resistance Army, or LRA, a guerrilla movement active in northern Uganda since 1987, raid villages at night, abducting boys and girls to fill the ranks of their army and to become sex slaves and porters. After the government launched an offensive two years ago, the kidnappings increased. Last year, an average of 30 children every day were snatched from boarding schools and homes, according to UNICEF. Terrified of abductions, which almost always took place at night, the children began to sleep in the towns, where it was harder for rebels to attack. Parents stayed behind in the villages to watch over their possessions. They, too, have been the victims of rebel kidnappings, but children are the main targets. An estimated 34,000 children have been abducted since 1994. "My family was killed by rebels so I started footing it to the bus park. So many [children] were there, too," said Jennifer, her large eyes shifting down. In the dark, three months ago, she was offered about 30 cents to sleep with a man. She said she closed her eyes and accepted the offer. "I'm not lazy. I can run. I have been beaten. I have been taken to discos and raped. I am not scared anymore," Susan said.
The Children

On the road to Gulu, Innocent Opinonya, 14, walked gracefully and with perfect posture. Also walking, but with her back hunched over and her sho ulders folded into her body, was his sister Prossy Atimango, who was just 16 but seemed 60. Prossy quietly recalled being taken as a "rebel wife" on a Tuesday in the last week of July 1998. She was mute for three months after escaping last year. Her first words to her brother were ones he still remembers: "I am still fearing in the village that they may abduct me. Let's hide in Gulu town." Prossy looked so solemn that she appeared to be lost in nightmares. She said she was raped many times. She described being forced to participate in killing a fellow prisoner -- a girl with light brown eyes -- who disobeyed a guerrilla commander. "I am really ashamed. I was disrespecting my heart. I wanted to be dead, afterwards. I wasn't experiencing life. It was living a curse," mumbled Prossy, her eyes welling with tears. She pulled her jacket over her head and said again: "I wanted to be dead. I wanted to take my own life." "Then you found me," Innocent piped in, touching her hand. "I was fear ing, too, and I told you we could be together."
CONTINUED
1 2 3 4     Next >
Print This Article

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

[See the attached file]
"Night commuters" made the trip to Kitgun last month for protection against the rebel Lord's Resistance Army, which abducted an average of 30 children a day last year for use as soldiers, porters or sex slaves. (Silvia Morara -- Lapresse/zuma Press)

_____Message Boards_____
• Post Your Comments

_____Free E-mail Newsletters_____

• News Headlines
• News Alert

E-Mail This Article

Print This Article

Permission to Republish

adHeaderAlreadyShown = false ;  adHeaderAlreadyShown = true ;

if ( typeof thisNode == "undefined" )  thisNode = "admin" ;

document.write(''); placeDropDownNav('top');

[See the attached file] [See the attached file]

PRINT EDITION | Subscribe to

NEWS | OPINION | SPORTS | ARTS & LIVING | ENTERTAINMENT Discussions | Photos & Video JOBS | CARS | REAL ESTATE

washingtonpost.com: function openWin(url){ var navWin = window.open(url,"NewWin", "scrollbars,toolbar=false,menubar=false,resizable=false,width=740,height=595,top=0,right=1000"); }document.write('Contact Us')| About washingtonpost.com
E-mail Newsletters | Archives | Wireless Access | Media Center | Advertise
mywashingtonpost.com | Our Headlines on Your Site | Rights and Permissions
Make Us Your Home Page | Work at washingtonpost.com | Internships | Site Index
The Washington Post: Subscribe | Subscriber Services
Advertise | Electronic Edition | Online Photo Store
The Washington Post Co.: Information
Other Washington Post Co. Websites

SEARCH: Top 20 Most E-mailed Articles

  User Agreement and Priv acy Policy | © Copyright 1996-document.write( (new Date()).getFullYear() ) The Washington Post Company
placeSiteMetrix(); [See the attached file]
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click HereClick Here

http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=274551.4550177.5718621.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=:HM/A=1994230/rand=134391685

Yahoo! Groups Links