Story by ZEDDY SAMBU

Publication Date: 04/23/2004

Microsoft software products will for the first time have Kiswahili
options.
The project, to be launched within the next five months, will be
included in the latest software applications, Windows XP and MS
Office 2003.

The three-phase programme will cover more than 100 million people in
East Africa. Due to lack of a simplified language, most users find
it
difficult to interact with most operating systems. This has
contributed to the technological gap between rural and urban areas.

Microsoft country manager, Mr Louis Otieno, launched the Microsoft
Local Language Programme at the company's offices in I&M building in
Nairobi yesterday. He said the project will enhance various
programmes in major universities.

These include initiatives to standardise the Kiswahili language,
spoken in six Eastern Africa countries.

"We will first assess the existence of a glossary and accelerate it
to completion within the next 8-12 months," Mr Otieno said.

The first and hardest step, that involves development of a glossary
of standard words considered legitimate by the Government and other
bodies, is to be completed in two months.