Mbale Landless Want Museveni
Email This Page
Print This Page
Visit The Publisher's Site
The Monitor (Kampala)
May 21, 2004
Posted to the web May 21, 2004
David Mafabi
Mbale
Over 1000 landless people here have vowed to meet president Museveni at state house
over what they have described as appaulling conditions.
The landless people under their chairman Mr Stephen Khaukha say that over 400 of them
were evicted from their cradle land by the Mount Elgon forest reserve authorities in
1993 and that the landslides displaced around 1000 people.
According to the documents seen by The Monitor, a request was made by the landless
people to government to be re-settled in 1998, a survey was made and a report on fact
finding mission was made by ministry of local government signed by Rose Nakabugo, a
screening exercise was done acknowledging the fact that the people were landless and
required urgent attention.
Khaukha says since then, they have received no help and now they are apparently living
under poor conditions in camps at Namisindwa East and in Magale trading centre.
Relevant Links
East Africa
Uganda
Urban Issues and Habitation
"We have been fed on lies for long, there is a problem in our government. We have
approached our MP, RDC, Chairman LCV, exhausted all avenues and the only choice
remaining is to appeal to state house to meet the president," said Khaukha.
He said that they have requested their area Member of Parliament, Mr George Wopuwa for
assistance but he hasn't been of any help, as he seems less interested.
--------------------------------------------
This service is hosted on the Infocom network
http://www.infocom.co.ug