Bwanika:

First of all, in no way was I ordering you about the party you founded.  I
was simply reminding you that DFAU is meant to be a farmer’s party.

I still maintain that Ugandans have no culture of paying taxes.  If you need
the proof, see the saga swelling around boda boda in Kampala.   URA has not
done enough sensitization necessary to change that culture.  Some ought to
tell Ugandans that donor’s funds actually come out of taxes paid.

On BIDCO, I was trying to answer your question: what is taxation meant for?
I personally believe that BIDCO is a big rip off but the government decided
that BIDCO has huge multiplier effects. May be.  Time will tell. But
remember that taxation policy is indeed competition policy.

Mr. Bwanika, I recall vividly one of, if not the lasting posting I sent to
Ugandanet several years ago.  It was on Congo and my disgust as to how the
authorities had treated UPDF soldiers who died in Congo.  The government
treated them as riff raffs who did not deserve a decent funeral. I believe
many of those who died in Congo with the exception of a few soldiers were
buried in mass shallow graves in the Congo!  It is also true that their next
of kin were never informed!

3.     In Uganda of today, and maybe in our lifetime – there might be
no positive change but rather our nation will slide into a worse
situation positively than that you see in urban America- the ghettos.

You know, urban America is actually very vibrant. It has its own economy and
trust me, it is a huge market.  Do not take what you read about urban
America as facts. Many are lies. Without a doubt, what you call ghettoes are
marketing opportunities and good, smart firms are taking notice.  Urban
America is getting better as more people move back in the downtown urban
cores.

You are right. Uganda may not register positive change in all parts of
Uganda.  The Uganda we know ended with Amin.  How ironic. There is at least
one good thing about Amin-Uganda then was one and not cut off in agony. We
never had a Luwero or a Kony.

4.     Cleaning streets might be one index, to an organised society
one would say, besides i.e. some MPs offering an economic index of car
ownership, and people riding on bodabodas – indeed ghettoised America
is doing exactly that!

What exactly is ghettoized America doing?  Forget the stereotypes about
urban America.

5.     Now, I can’t understand why should the common men and women
work for nothing while those who do nothing get hips of money they do
not work for- PEOPLE SHOULD WORK FOR A PAY AS LONG IS THE STATUS QUO ABOVE.

It is not working for nothing.  Those “useless” men who can’t afford to pay
their minimum poll tax would be performing a service in lieu.  It is an
alternative way and in my view, quite productive for the country at large.
I see it as a win–win situation.  I agree that people should work for pay,
but the “useless” men have no work, yet they must pay the poll tax or else.

7.     Mr. Ojambo who is westernised ? In Uganda, old people die blind
in the eyes, simply because they have don’t have UG shs. 50,000 to do
an eye operation, lame kids defecate on themselves since their parents
are too poor to seek betters means and ways, children from war zone are
sleeping on Mbale , Jinja and Kampala streets since they are refugees
in their own country- Sudan refugees sleep in US 300 million $ houses
rented in and around posh sub-urban Kampala – it is a grotesque and
despicable scenery.

It is indeed sad that local hospitals lack medicine. It is shameful that
Ugandans only protest when MPs or ‘big’ men die for lack of treatment.  They
feel entitled to foreign treatment without paying attention to local medical
conditions. But do you think abolishing graduated tax would make things
better? No. It would only divert funds meant for medicine to fund other
local expenditures. Money is scarce and fungible at that.  I don’t buy the
notion that Sudanese refugees are having it so well. They are scapegoats.  I
bet you, the majority of Sudanese refuges are having a hard time having ends
meet.  But relax, Lakwena too will soon have it easy in Kampala.

8.      Which town in Uganda has no women destitute eking a living on
the  dirty streets selling dodo or tomatoes  –  so they pay taxes for
what for trading on streets?

Ugandan women are taking care of business by any means necessary. There is
nothing wrong with selling tomatoes or dodo. Ugandan women must take care of
business. They must pay rent by any means necessary.  Those women are
practical. They will not sit there and lament their fate. Rather they have
to take care of business.  Are you asking whether those selling such produce
should pay the relevant local taxes? The answer is yes. If they are
transacting their activities in maintained places, they have to pay local
levies.

9.     UPE never started with NRM- in fact the colonialist in their
civilisation stance - Education was mandatory and up to well into 1989
those structures were still in existence! Amin never destroyed them.

Are you kidding?  Education in Uganda has never been mandatory.  The only
time it has been universal is under UPE.  But one of UPE’s weaknesses is
that the authorities failed to make it mandatory [it should have been made
illegal for anyone to leave school before the age of 16 or 18 or whatever].
If the number of UPE pupils is declining, it is because there is no penalty
to pay since UPE is not mandatory.

Today if you were to visit the homes of Uganda’s elite, you will find
perhaps not one, but two or even 3 under 16 year olds toiling away as house
girls/boys. These kids should be in school under UPE.  But because it is not
mandatory, Uganda’s urban elite including politicians simply go to the
villages and collect pupils who are supposed to be in school to do double
duty in urban areas. Mark you, if peasants were to pull their 13 or 10 year
old to chase birds from Rice fields, the authorities would be at them, but
when the same kids are pulled from school and taken to Kampala, Jinja or
Mbale as house girl/boy, there is no fuss.

Please give credit where it is due: UPE is not perfect, I wish it was
mandatory, but the elite won’t do it because it would deny them the cheap
labor that makes their homes function.  Talk of people working for nothing
under extremely hostile conditions, it is the under age house girl/boy.  It
is not an exaggeration to say that the greatest cases of child abuse in
Uganda take place in the posh homes in urban centers where the under age
house girl in particular is overworked; routinely sexually abused, sometimes
by all the male in the households-from father, uncle, sons name them, but
guess what, the lady in the house simply looks the other way as the
molestation goes on as if it is not her business.

That is precisely why the elite in Uganda will not make UPE mandatory. Where
else would they get such cheap labor?  Funny, because some of those abusing
under age girls/boys as house helpers may claim to be fighting for human
rights in the public, yet in their private homes, they are the leading
perpetrators of such abuses.

The times you invoke are gone and gone forever. They will never come back
again. Never.  That is the truth.

11.     It is an discourtesy of you to say Ugandans are lazy- people
who do not depend on the state to meet all their worldly needs and want
it is an insult indeed. Who financed the destruction of Jinja, kampala,
Luweero , Gulu – is it not tax money?

I never said lazy.  What I said is that we have too many idlers expecting
“things” from the government.  It is time to change people’s incentive.  I
can say it again. Most of those living on the margins in urban areas are
there because they despise farming, but expect fresh butunda, menvu, dodo,
lumonde etc. And they expect them cheap.  That is unacceptable to me.  We
must empower the farmer and not the idle urban dwellers.  That is the best
weapon against rural poverty.

But I insist that Ugandans have not yet developed a culture of valuing
taxes.  If they did, they would not be rushing to big men to intercede on
their behalf. If those boda boda people in Kampala do not want to pay taxes,
they should not be in that business period.  And the intervention from the
President’s office makes matters worse.  Look at Kenya, where such
intervention is not entertained and you will begin to appreciate why taxes
must be paid.

Ojambo

Spela poker mot verkliga människor över Internet. Över 40 000 spelare online
http://www.multipoker.com