| Hey ..Kaguta that would be a nice move... why talk! just go ahead and deproy your UPDF Troops heavly over there in DRC Congo to Contain "kony"! If I were you I would think twice though before deproyinng UPDF troops over there again Congo. why? The UPDF , many political observers believe, are tired of your wars and war mongering tactics. Chances are that your UPDF will turn against you if they are forced to go back to congo to fight wars.. MK Uganda's Museveni warns Congo on LRA rebels 19 Mar 2006 07:27:
00
GMT
Source: Reuters
|
![]()
PREVIOUS | NEXT
![]()
Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni speaks at his first news conference after February's
elections at his Rwakitura cattle-ranch in western Uganda, February 26, 2006.
REUTERS/Euan Denholm
KAMPALA, March 19 (Reuters) - Uganda will not hesitate to send troops back into Congo if it is attacked by Lord's Resistance Army (LRA)
rebels
hiding there, Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni said in an interview on Sunday.
Uganda says LRA leader Joseph Kony fled hideouts in southern Sudan this week and joined his deputy in the lawless jungles of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
Museveni told the state-owned Sunday Vision newspaper the Ugandan military would respond firmly to any LRA incursion.
"If they attack any part of Uganda, we shall follow them into Congo with or without approval," the president said.
"Under international law, we have a right of self-defence. That one we have said and it is clear."
DRC holds its first democratic polls in four decades on June 18 to try to bring order after years of violence in the vast central African nation.
The U.N. and the Kinshasa government have turned down several recent Ugandan offers to chase the LRA over the border.
Kony, who has no clear political agenda other than o
pposing
Museveni, has waged a 20-year rebellion from bases in northern Uganda, southern Sudan -- and now northeastern DRC.
Worst hit has been northern Uganda, where some 1.6 million people have been forced into squalid camps by the bloodshed.
In Sunday's interview, Uganda's newly re-elected president said the settlements would soon be a thing of the past.
"They will disappear this year because Kony has been defeated," Museveni said. "The army is very strong now. It is not possible to have these (guerrilla) groups back."
Even camp residents in the worst affected Acholi region would start going home soon, he said, "maybe around April".
The 62-year-old former rebel won polls last month that pitted him against his former doctor and ally Kizza Besigye.
Besigye is facing treason charges his supporters say are politically-motivated, including that he plotted with the LRA and other insurgents to seize power. Besig
ye
denies it.
Asked whether he would appoint any opposition leaders to his next cabinet, Museveni gave little room for doubt.
"No way. That one is categorical," he told the paper. "These opposition groups are not principled."
Yahoo! Mail
Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[email protected]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet
% UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/
The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted them (including
attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way.
---------------------------------------