The NRA/M government needs to leave Acholiland alone! It has been 21 years that
they have been in power. But all these times what they did was liquidate the
people; render them destitutes, unproductive, plus what nots!

  Development cannot come through selling the country's resources to
foreigners; destroying vital factors necessary for economic development like
human resources!! Development comes through a state utilizing tax payers money
wisely - by investing in sound public projects that create jobs, beside
citizens' education!

  None of these vital economic measures have been carried out in Uganda for the
last 21 years. And today these fools want to sell Acholiland to someone who
would only be siphoning profits made to his country of origin? What
developments are there in Busoga where the Madhvanis have been operating from
for donkey years now?

  These fools must leave Acholiland alone. They have squandered they time in
power, and must be pushed out. Period.

  Ocii

  Nsibambi wants to meet Acholi MPs over land
  YASIIN MUGERWA
    PARLIAMENT

THE government has written to Acholi MPs, inviting them for a discussion on the
proposed allocation of 40,000 hectares of land in the northern district of
Amuru to the Madhvani Group of Companies for sugar cane growing.

The MPs had early roundly rejected Madhvani's request on grounds that the land
in question has oil prospects. They also claim the land is too big for one
person and that internally displaced persons (IDPs) should first re-posses
their plots in the district.

But in a letter dated November 26, 2007, addressed to the chairperson of the
Acholi Parliamentary Group, Mr Livingstone Okello-Okello, Prime Minister Apolo
Nsibambi invited all Acholi MPs to his office to speed up the allocation
process.

"I wish to have a discussion with the Acholi Parliamentary Group on this matter
[Amuru land] along with Mr K. P Eswar, Director Corporate Affairs. I wish to
meet you on Tuesday 18th December 2007 at 9.15 am sharp in the Prime Minister's
Boardroom," the letter reads in part.

The government's invitation comes two months after MPs from the region
unanimously rejected Madhvani's request to grow sugar cane in Amuru District
without the people's consent.

When contacted yesterday, Mr Okello-Okello said; "We will obey the government
regarding their invitation. We don't know what exactly they want to tell us,
but we are ready to go there and listen."

Mr Okello added; "As leaders from Acholi, our stand is clear, any investor
should acquire land directly through our people. We cannot allow investors who
lobby from higher offices other than the locals who own the land. This is what
exactly we told Madhvani and if this issue comes up, we shall maintain the same
position."

During a tour of the disaster-struck northern region recently, President
Museveni urged the Acholi to embrace investors who want to grow sugar cane
there. "If the Acholi take sugar, they should know that it is not grown in the
air, but on land belonging to some tribe," Mr Museveni said.

However, without the consent of the people, it is likely to take more than that
to get the Acholi to part with land for sugar cane growing. The oil prospects
in the area has also complicated the matter as MPs insist that the government
needs to first undertake exploration studies to ascertain whether there's oil.

According to Prof Nsibambi's letter, the proposed sugar complex will consist of
nucleus estates, out-growers groups, schools, hospitals and houses for all the
employees. "The establishment of the Sugar complex in Amuru will provide
employment in addition to contributing to the poverty alleviation programme,"
the letter reads.

But Reagan Okumu, the vice chairperson of Acholi Parliamentary Group said;
"There is no free land in Acholi, because the land is communally owned. It is
not clear from the project proposal how you intend to acquire the land. Given
the fast growing population of the Acholi sub-region and the technological
advancement, it is not appropriate to set aside this large chunk of land for
one project."

"The war has destroyed everything in Acholi. The only asset left for the people
of Acholi is land. Any proposed investment should benefit the people directly,"
Mr Okumu said.