Four Mumbai terrorists 'had links with Britain'

Kashmiri separatists prime suspects for attacks 

By Andrew Buncombe in Mumbai and Kim Sengupta
Saturday, 29 November 2008 

  

REUTERS

A policeman stands guard after shootings at a railway station in India's 
financial capital

  a..  More pictures 




UK security agencies are sifting through information sent by Indian authorities 
to establish whether British Muslims were involved in the terrorist attacks in 
Mumbai that traumatised India.


The search to track down the "British connection" in the carnage began after a 
number of Indian officials claimed that evidence had been found on dead and 
captured gunmen linking them to the UK. Senior Whitehall sources confirmed that 
police and the security and intelligence services were combing through 
information sent by Indian authorities to ascertain whether any of the group 
which carried out the assault were UK citizens or had visited or lived in this 
country.

According to one report, four of the terrorists, two of them dead, had 
connections with Britain. The Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh told 
Associated Press that two British-born Pakistanis were among the eight gunmen 
arrested by Indian authorities.

However, British officials stressed they had not yet received "hard" evidence 
that the men were British nationals. "There is a hell of a lot going on at the 
minute and it is not just a matter of citizenship - that's a bit of a red 
herring," said one source. "We are trying to establish whether any of these men 
had been in this country and who they lived with, who they associated with, but 
it is very early days."

At least 155 people are known to have died in the multi-pronged attacks. Last 
night, the Indian government said the death toll could hit 200.

Britain's security agencies confirmed they were looking through intelligence on 
domestic suspects with overseas extremist links and reviewing tracked telephone 
calls to see if the "chatter" revealed British citizens were involved in the 
Mumbai plot. Investigators are said to be concentrating on the Kashmiri 
separatist group Lashkar-e-Taiba, which has previously recruited from the UK. 
Rashid Rauf, who was wanted in connection with a terrorist plot to blow up 
transatlantic airliners and was reported to have been killed recently in an 
American missile strike, was associated with Lashkar.

Unconfirmed reports from India stated that some of the terrorists were from 
Dewsbury and Bradford, areas from which some in the Muslim community had left 
in the past to join jihadist groups abroad. Security officials stated that all 
leads were be explored but stressed that no arrests had taken place in this 
country yet in relation to the Mumbai attacks.

Gordon Brown said: "At no point has the Prime Minister of India [Manmohan 
Singh] suggested ... there is evidence ... of any terrorist of British origins, 
but obviously these are huge investigations ... and I think it will be 
premature to draw any conclusions at all."

Security officials said it was looking increasingly likely that 
Lashkar-e-Taiba, previously known as Jaish-e-Mohammed, was involved in the 
attack with the militant group, Indian Mujaheddin. They played down suggestions 
of a direct al-Qa'ida link.

As anti-terrorist officers from Scotland Yard flew out to Mumbai, security 
officials urged against jumping to conclusions on documentation which may have 
been found on the gunmen, pointing out that they may be forged. What was 
crucial, said a senior source, was to establish their links in Britain and find 
people they had been associating with.

Ed Husain, director of the Quilliam Foundation, a think-tank that campaigns 
against extremism, said of the reports of British involvement in the attacks: 
"British Muslim leaders need to take their heads out of the sand and begin 
systematically dismantling the warped theology that has inspired these and 
other attacks. Unless our government is bolder in identifying Islamism as the 
root cause of extremism, we will only be responding to and not preventing 
terrorism. Extremist Islamist groups continue to hold events in England and 
recruit new followers. Radical Islamism has no place in our country."

There were still many unanswered questions last night about how many of the 
gunmen had been in the cell and the degree of planning they undertook before 
launching their operation. Indian officials said the gunmen had been arrested 
and were being questioned by anti-terrorism officers. Meanwhile another report, 
carried on the Indian NDTV news channel, suggested there may have been a total 
of 40 militants, 29 of them from Pakistan and the remainder from Bangladesh.

What does seem clear is that the gunmen were well-armed and well-trained. It 
might also be assumed that while they may have made extensive plans about the 
attacks, there was no plan to escape. No demands were made of the authorities 
and no attempt was made to use hostages to further their cause, except to cause 
terror. It was, in effect, a suicide mission.

Yesterday, evidence about the training and planning of the gunmen came from the 
commandos whose task was to confront the militants. At both the Taj Mahal and 
Trident-Oberoi hotels, they said it had been a game of cat-and-mouse. 

"These people were very, very familiar with the hotel layouts and it appears 
they had carried out a survey before," said one commando, who declined to be 
named. He said the gunmen used their knowledge to move skillfully from place to 
place. "[They] showed no remorse to anybody; whoever came in front of them they 
fired at," he added. "They appeared to be a determined lot, wanting to create 
and spread terror."

The gunmen had come well-prepared. One backpack discovered by the commandos 
contained 400 rounds of ammunition. It is understood that some of the gunmen 
were carrying bags of almonds to eat during a long siege. They also had foreign 
currency and credit cards. Not only were they well armed with assault rifles 
and hand grenades, but they knew how to use them. The commando added: "It's 
obvious they were trained somewhere ... not everyone can handle the AK series 
of weapons or throw grenades like that."

Other questions will inevitably focus on how the gunmen were able to reach the 
coastline undetected. Some experts have suggested a lack of co-ordination 
between marine authorities. 

 The Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Uganda is in anarchy"
            Groupe de communication Mulindwas 
"avec Yoweri Museveni, l'Ouganda est dans l'anarchie"

<<pg-1-mumbai-splash-r_90822t.jpg>>

<<i_photos.gif>>

_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[email protected]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet
% UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/


The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted them (including 
attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way.
---------------------------------------

Reply via email to