Congo rebel chief vows war if no talks with govt *HEREWARD HOLLAND* | JOMBA,
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO - Nov 30 2008 08:44
 [image: 
comments]<http://www.mg.co.za/article/2008-11-30-drc-rebel-chief-says-war-if-no-talks-with-govt#comments>

 Congolese Tutsi rebel leader General Laurent Nkunda threatened war on
Saturday unless DRC's government entered a new round of talks with him.

 Nkunda, whose forces have routed government troops and gained swathes of
territory in North Kivu province in the east of Democratic Republic of Congo
since launching a new offensive in August, has repeatedly demanded
negotiations.

Nkunda said he had been told by the United Nations special envoy, former
Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo, that Kinshasa had accepted the
principle of talks.

"If there is no negotiation, let us say then there is war," Nkunda told
reporters after meeting Obasanjo in the rebel commander's native village,
Jomba.

"I know that [the government] has no capacity to fight, so they have only
one choice: negotiations," he said.

"We asked for a response as to where, when, and with whom we are going to do
these talks. For us, we propose Nairobi and for the mediator we proposed
chief Obasanjo."

Video footage of the meeting provided by the UN peacekeeping mission in the
DRC, Monuc, showed Obasanjo criticising Nkunda for recent hostilities,
including Thursday's capture of the town of Ishasha, on the border with
Uganda.

"What has happened in the last 14 days has not made me happy," Obasanjo
said, rising to his feet to address Nkunda, who remained seated at a low
table.

"I tried to build a relationship of trust, but I don't receive the same from
you."Obasanjo said Nkunda should have informed him he was planning fresh
offensives.

"You are making me a laughing stock," he said.

Nkunda, who wore a white robe with matching shoes and scarf, wrung his hands
and said the ceasefire he had declared applied only to fighting against the
Congolese army, not against what he described as "foreign negative forces".

That ceasefire has brought nearly two weeks of relative calm. But his men
have continued attacking Congolese and Rwandan militia allies of the
government.

*Clashes*
Obasanjo was in the DRC on his second mission in two weeks to try to end
fighting in North Kivu that has displaced about 250 000 civilians and at one
point brought Nkunda's troops to within 10km of the provincial capital,
Goma.

The envoy, who met President Joseph Kabila in the mineral-rich country on
Friday, has pressed for talks.

Government ministers this week rebuffed the possibility of direct
negotiations with Nkunda, calling for him to return to a earlier peace pact
signed in January.

Emerging from his one-hour meeting with the rebel leader, Obasanjo avoided
questions.

"We have advanced the course of peace," he said.

Monuc said clashes between Nkunda's National Congress for the Defence of the
People (CNDP) and armed groups erupted for a second day near Masisi town on
Saturday.

The roots of the North Kivu conflict stem from Rwanda's 1994 genocide, when
extremist Hutu militias killed about 800 000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus
before fleeing into DRC.

That led to two wars and a humanitarian crisis that killed more than five
million people, mostly from hunger and disease.

Nkunda accuses Kabila of arming Rwandan Hutu rebels, including some
perpetrators of the 1994 genocide, to fight alongside the weak and chaotic
Congolese army.

About one million civilians have been displaced by clashes between the CNDP,
the army, local Mai Mai militias, and Rwandan rebels since Nkunda relaunched
his insurgency in late 2006.
_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[email protected]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet
% UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/


The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted them (including 
attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way.
---------------------------------------

Reply via email to