Omar to Introduce Resolution Declaring Support for Anti-Israel BDS Movement

Jack Crowe

July 17, 2019

Representative Ilhan Omar (D., Minn.) will introduce a resolution this week
declaring support for the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement,
which seeks to elevate the Palestinian negotiating position vis-a-vis Israel
through an international pressure campaign.

“We are introducing a resolution . . . to really speak about the American
values that support and believe in our ability to exercise our first
amendment rights in regard to boycotting,” Omar
<https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2019/07/ilham-omar-pro-bds-legis
lation-trump-israel.html> told Al-Monitor. “And it is an opportunity for us
to explain why it is we support a nonviolent movement, which is the BDS
movement.”

The announcement comes on the same day that the House Foreign Affairs
Committee, on which Omar sits, plans to vote on another
<https://docs.house.gov/meetings/FA/FA00/20190717/109819/BILLS-116-HRes246-E
000179-Amdt-78.pdf> non-binding resolution explicitly condemning the BDS
movement as an attempt to “undermine the two state solution” by demanding
“concessions of one party alone and encourag[ing] Palestinians to reject
negotiations in favor of international pressure.”

The anti-BDS resolution further notes that the movement’s founder, Omar
Bharghouti, has openly dismissed the possibility of reaching any settlement
that allows the state of Israel to retain its sovereignty.

Omar is expected to cast the lone vote against the anti-BDS resolution,
further highlighting the divide between herself and the panel’s older,
more-established lawmakers, who have condemned her comments about Israel in
the past.

Representative Elliot Engel (D., N.Y.), the committee’s chairman, accused
Omar of “invoking a vile, anti-Semitic slur” earlier this year
<https://www.nationalreview.com/news/ilhan-omar-fears-her-jewish-colleagues-
are-using-anti-semitism-charge-to-shutdown-debate/> after she suggested that
pro-Israel American lawmakers’ loyalty to the country was suspect. However,
he resisted Republican calls to remove Omar from the panel in the wake of
her comments.

The House also passed a non-binding resolution in March condemning
anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in response to Omar’s suggestions that
support for Israel was “all about the Benjamins.”

Omar told CBS News’s Gayle King this week that she doesn’t regret the words
she used to cast support for Israel as primarily the product of the Israel
lobby’s financial influence.

“So you don’t regret your words either?” King asked.

“I do not. But I have gotten the — I am grateful for the opportunity to
really learn how my words make people feel and have taken every single
opportunity I’ve gotten to make sure that people understood that I apologize
for it,” Omar responded.

EM         -> { Trump for 2020 }

On the 49th Parallel

                 Thé Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja and Dr. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda is in
anarchy"
                    Kuungana Mulindwa Mawasiliano Kikundi
"Pamoja na Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja na Dk. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda ni
katika machafuko"