From: Michael Baessler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: uima-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:35:27 +0100
Subject: Re: Pear installer API
Adam Lally wrote:
> +1 to having an easy way to install a PEAR file.  I guess I always
> thought we had that already in the InstallationController class.  This
> is the code you're referring to that's too complex and not well
> documented?
Yes that is the code, that I think nobody understands well. We can also
try to cleanup this, but the main issue with that is, that
the code use an own message listener and do not throw any exception in
case of an error. So for an application it is hard to find out
what really happens. So when we change that, I'm not sure what else we
have to change in the Pear installer GUI. So my though was
to provide a new static method for installing a pear file ... but I will
check that again so see what we can reuse.
> Maybe this can just be added as a static method on
> InstallationController?  And if the documentation on
> InstallationController can be improved, by all means let's do that.

Yes in the documentation we have many ToDos. There is nothing in that
tells the user that there is an API and how that can be used.

-- Michael