On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:12:50 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Not really an unattended question, more of a "Windows Update" question:
>
> I have installed the Microsoft Malicious software removal tool on a few
> machines, each via Automatic Updates, but I cannot seem to find out WHERE it
> is installed. I don't see a shortcut for it (even though I AM in the local
> administrators group).
>
> Don't tell me it's a command line only thing. That would be stupid. How
> would the users who need it the MOST run it?

Windows update downloads it and automatically runs it.  Apparently
Microsoft will be releasing a new version every month and you are
supposed to update the tool every month.

The tool creates a log file named mrt.log in the %WINDIR%\debug folder.

Here are some links and more info.  The first one is a link to where
you run the tool from the web.  The second link is where you can
download the tool.  And then some KB articles about the tool and
deploying it.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx#run

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830