If you install the drivers from a substituted drive, then the install
location gets set to that drive letter in the registry. Then in the future,
if windows needs to install drivers or other components, it will look for
that X: drive (which may be mapped to a server by now).

This might work if, after the installation is done, there is a script to
clean up the registry entries and fix the paths.

BTW: I didn't think that the SUBST command was still around. I thought that
they cancelled it around Windows 95.

  Scott Parrill
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    To:        Unattended Info
  Sent by:                       <unattended-info@lists.sourceforge.net>
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]         cc:
  urceforge.net                          Subject:        [Unattended]
                                 Substuting Windows installation
                                 directory
  10/20/2005 04:45 PM

Has anyone looked at what would be necessary to change in Unattended to
have Windows install from a drive letter created with the SUBST command?

My idea here is the current configuration of Unattended places the
operating system installation files in separate directories in the Z:\OS
directory.  So if we put Windows XP Service Pack 2 in a directory called Z:
\OS\WinXPsp2 we end up with drivers to be installed during the initial
setup in the Z:\OS\WinXPsp2\i386\$OEM$\$1\drivers directory which is 34
characters long.  If the drivers extract into a directory structure that is
very deep, we quickly run into problems where we reach the 64 character
file name limit.  (Ok, we can eliminate 6 characters by calling the
directory d instead of drivers but it is a much less descriptive name.)

However, I think we could eliminate some of the overall length of the file
name, with its full path, by using the SUBST command to redirect the Z:
\OS\WinXPsp2 or the Z:\OS\WinXPsp2\i386 directory (I can't recall at the
moment if the second option will work) to another drive letter, such as X:
and then install from that location.  As a result we would eliminate either
12 or 16 characters from the path name and hopefully have less conflict
when we install new drivers into the $OEM$ directories.

I do know that the $$Rename.txt could potentially be used to help overcome
this problem as well but my experience in getting the $$Rename.txt file to
do what I expect has been less than successful.

I would appreciate people's comments on this.

Scott

--

 Scott Parrill                      | When the legends die, the dreams
                                      end.

 Area Technology & Communications   | When the dreams end, there is no
 Manager                              more greatness.

 Wyoming GISciences Center          |

 University of Wyoming              |

 Laramie, WY 82071                  |                                 When
                                      the Legends Die

 PH: (307)766-2524 FAX:             |                                 Hal
 (307)766-2744                        Bowland

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  |

NOTICE: The information contained in this email message, and any
attachments accompanying this transmission, may be legally privileged
and/or confidential and protected health information. This information is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) and/or entity identified
above. The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from
disclosing this information to any other party unless required to do so by
law or regulation and is required to protect the information after its
stated need has been fulfilled. If you are not the intended recipient, or
an employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any disclosure, printing, copying, forwarding,
or distributing of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately,
by telephone or return email, to advise of wrongful receipt and confirm
your understanding of this Notice. Thank You.