From: cnjpal...@aol.com <cnjpal...@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Understand] Chapter seven (Nothing as certain as change)
To: understand@literacyworkshop.org
Date: Thursday, March 26, 2009, 8:11 PM

Reading this, I began to consider the why we are asking kids how the book
changed them. It IS the metacognitive piece, I agree. But I also think this is
where the importance of a book slides over from it's uses in reading
instruction  to literature as ART. Art is meant to change you. when we use
books to
teach  reading, perhaps kids don't see the value except as learning tools.
Some
books have more value than others for sure...but art may also be  in the eye
of the beholder.

Consider all the art work Ellin describes and her often emotional and
visceral reactions to certain pieces of art. It is the same with literature.
Some
art, and some books, touch a chord, or a nerve in us and bring to light
certain corners of our mind or souls that we were not aware of before...we
connect
with a book because it teaches us something new about the world or  reminds us
of who we once were or who we might become. Yet someone else is not  touched
in the same way.

Take the Twilight series for example. So many folks have been smitten with
it I thought I would try it out. I am the only person I know that isn't raving
about how great the book was. Did Twilight change me? Well, it has made me
think  about what was missing in the book for me...and made me want to talk to
others  to find out why they DID connect with it.

So...when you ask "How did the book change you?" I am thinking maybe it
could be stated as Did the book change you? If not, why not? If so, what about
your thinking changed?
Just a few musings...I am still working this all out in my mind.
Jennifer

In a message dated 3/25/2009 12:09:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,