> There is no legal Farsi 32-bit version of Windows available in Iran, but
> there was once a 16-bit one available. BTW, it depends on how do you
> interpret legal. Iran is not in the international copyright agreement, so
> doing a localized Windows is considered legal here. There are more
> localized versions of Windows than countable. I think a normal user can
> name at least five outstanding (!) ones.

This might just be splitting hairs to some and I have no idea how Microsoft
feels about this sort of thing, but if a country will not respect my
copyrights then I myself would not consider shipping my software there. For
me it would just be a mutual respect issue. :-)

Perhaps this an overly harsh way to look at things.... but I am not one of
these large companies that would be able to simultaneously do business with
someone I was suing. I think I lack that "big company/big government"
perspective <very big grin>

> Also, exporting software from Iran is legal. You only need a permission
> from the Ministry of Guidance and Islamic Culture that's not hard to
> obtain. Is this against any international agreement?

Not that I know of... I was thinking export from the US to Iran, though.

> > But Farsi support is present and one can only assume that one day export
> > will be legal.... better to make sure things are right now instead of
> > later. :-)
>
> I don't get your point. How are localized versions of Windows in
> Iran related to "prepetuating the evidence"? Perhaps I'm missing something
> important...

I mean that when the product is imported into Iran, the importance of
correct NLS info (already obviously high) becomes much higher.

michka

a new book on internationalization in VB at
http://www.i18nWithVB.com/