[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 01/12/2001 10:33:48 AM Marco Cimarosti wrote:
>
> >Is that k aspirated?
>
> It is for any English speakers I've ever met.

I think the question about aspiration of this k relates to the fact that
it is at the onset of a word-medial unstressed syllable. So, although it
is aspirated, the aspiration might not be as pronounced as it would be
in a stressed and/or word-initial environment.

BTW, in a very close transcription, if one is using superscription
(position above baseline) and relative size reduction to indicate
aspiration, I suppose that degree of superscription or the size or both
could be modulated to indicate degree of aspiration?

Or perhaps just mark-up the unsuperscripted aspiration indicator, to
note degree of aspiration ... however you would like to measure that.

I guess you see what I'm hinting at ...