Mike, you said:

<<<<<<
I don't want bold, italic or underlined.
I don't want serifs.  I don't want dingbats (other than those officialy
encoded).  I don't want colors.   I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE FREAKIN'
CHARACTER IS!!!

I agree with you entirely. But the situation is *better* than you suggest.
A reasonable full-Unicode Truetype font in a simple style can provide
outlines that any decent rasterizer can manipulate, so we get

(possibly) algorithmic bolding
algorithmic slant for simulating italic
underlining is of course trivial
colours - fine, no problem - that's just a case of drawing the character in
the right colour

But I guess this is obvious. I just wanted to chime in with the view that a
single Unicode Font would be useful, and a whole lot better than some
people suggest.

As an implementer of rasterizers and text layout systems I can also state
that the problem of baseline versus centre-line writing systems can be
handled well algorithmically.

Best regards,

Graham Asher
software architect