I think the point is being missed here (I changed the subject to tryto bring
some focus on the subthread).

John was not necessarily stating HIS opinions, he was answering the question
of what basis people would work on if they wanted to be dismissive of
imaginary scripts. You are trying to "convince" the wrong person here.

<KLINGON_DISCUSSION>
Let's digress and talk about Klingon for a moment (I promise I can show
relevance).

The fact does indeed remain that there were many people who watched
"Trekkies" (cf: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120370) and who, if they found
that Klingon was "under investigation" that there was a crowd of people
supporting rubber head covers and such. Dr. Marc Orkand is certainly a
serious linguist and many people supported the notion of encoding Klingon,
but the fact remains that it was a very huge source of embarrassment for
Unicode among people who look at "Trekkies" a bit oddly.

Klingon carries a certain connotation that not everyone who is doing serious
work could have felt comfortable with, even if the script issues did not
exist.
</KLINGON_DISCUSSION>

The fact is that "Elvish" carries a certain connotation (cf:
http://dictionary.com/search?q=Elvish), several dictionaries have
definitions such as:

American Heritage Dict. - Prankish; mischievous.
Webster's Revised Unabridged - Mysterious; also, foolish.

This connotation is REAL. To pretend that anyone who looks at it this way is
foolish is to be just as dismissive of people as they are being of these
scripts.

We could argue the scholarly value from here to eternity but the three
points John tried to make add up to a perception that some people *will*
feel -- it behooves the UTC to consider holding off on actions until they
are ready to have the people leave the room who you may consider "bitter"
for their unimaginative thoughts.... encoding these scripts may be big news
in Middle Earth but it might prove to be the road to Mordor for us (and
without a magic ring to destroy, either!).

In any case, the fact that Tolkien's estate does not enforce the copyright
because they want people to use the scripts is entirely besides the point --
the question of whether any language that is in some sense owned by a
private party is a valid one to ask. This would set an uncomfortable
precedent for all parties and perhaps Unicode will need to get legal advice
on what that means rather than have a bunch of non-lawyers and Tolkien
enthusiasts tell everyone not to worry?

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/