Peter Kirk scripsit:

> Well, did Gdansk/Danzig change its name backwards and forwards several
> times over history (thank you, Qrczak, for the interesting information
> about that), or was it simply that it had different names in different
> languages?

Yes to both.  Its name in Polish is Gdan'sk, in German Danzig.  Which one is
the dominant name is determined by which power is dominant at a given time.
What foreigners call the city is influenced, though not determined, by
when the city first became important to them.

There is hardly a city in Europe that isn't like this.  What makes this
one special, though hardly unique, is the repeated changes of sovereignty.
Consider Strassburg/Strasbourg.

> This makes it not a transliteration problem but a translation
> problem, one which is common to many geographical names - sometimes the
> names in different languages are related, and sometimes they are not
> e.g. Turku/Åbo in Finland, or Yerushalayim/al-Quds, or Dublin/(I'll let
> Michael tell us the correct Irish form).

Baile Atha Cliath.  Dublin is also an Irish name, though used mostly by
Norse and English (and now by anglophone Irish, of course).

--
My confusion is rapidly waxing          John Cowan
For XML Schema's too taxing:            [EMAIL PROTECTED]