Am Donnerstag, 5. August 2010 um 18:34 schrieb Janusz S. Bień:

JSB> Would you be so kind to give an example of a real-life application
JSB> when it is really needed?

Fraktur was in widespread use in Germany until 1941 (when the Nazis
forbade it due to a perceived similarity to the Hebrew script) and in
the German-speaking parts fo Switzerland until 1946. It is still used
by hobbyists, revival activists, and as an "old-fashioned" style.
Thus, there are texts displayable in Fraktur (i.e. containing long s).
When you want to display these (modern) texts in Roman (Antiqua), you
usually do not want to see the long s. If then you devise a variation
sequence coming into effect which devises the long s to be displayed
like a round s in when using Roman/Antiqua script variant implicitly
by a higher-level protocol, you can obtain this without recoding.
(The "implicit application" was somewhat hidden in my first draft,
it is described more concise in my final version. However, in that
version I have dropped the s variants; maybe they will appear in a
later separate proposal.)

JSB> BTW, is "round s" in the meaning used in your proposal an official or
JSB> widespread term?

It is a literally translation of German "Rund-S" which means the
common "s" form in opposition to a "Lang-S" (long s).

- Karl Pentzlin