On Mon, 9 Aug 2010, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> It is of course transliteration standards that should say something
> normative about the matter. As far as I can remember, the authoritative
> versions of the relevant standards are the paper publications, which
> do no identify characters by Unicode numbers, just as ink on paper.

ISO standards have always identified the characters used for
transliteration by reference to ISO 5426.

German standards have always identified the characters by reference
to DIN 31624.
Recent DIN standards identify the characters by reference to Unicode.

Library of Congress rules have always identified the characters
by reference to ANSI Z39.47.

I believe there are mapping tables from ISO 5426, DIN 31624, ANSI Z39.47
to Unicode.