On 7/2/2011 8:59 AM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
2011/7/2 Andrew Miller<a.j.mil...@bcs.org.uk>:
The "ng" in Llangollen is not the digram "ng" but two separate letters
(unlike the "ll" in the name which is the digram).
Why not simply using a soft hyphen between "n" and "g" in this case ?
Soft hyphens are normally recognized as such by smart correctors and
as well by search engines or collators. It seems enough for me to
indicate that this is not the Welsh digram "ng" ; CGJ anyway is
certainly not the correct disjoiner in your case.

This solution works well if the word can split between the n and the g.

In fact, if such split is possible, I would call it the preferred solution to indicating an "accidental" digraph.

An example:

The Danish digraph "aa", normally spelled "å" in modern orthography, but retained in names etc. can occur "accidentally" in compound nouns, such as "dataanalyse". Adding a SHY is the preferred method to indicate that the "aa" is accidental.

Other characters may have the same effect of breaking the digraph, their use might require an *additional* SHY to be inserted, if and when a linebreak opportunity needs to be manually marked (say for an unusual compound not recognized by the automatic hyphenator). It would be bad to have to have *two* invisible characters at that location.