On 15 Jul 2011, at 17:03, Doug Ewell wrote:

> 1. Graphic symbols for control characters are needed so writers can write
> about the control characters themselves using plain text.

This does not seem so unreasonable. The RTL and LTR overrides *function* on the
text when inserted into text. So you can't use those with glyphs in a font to
represent for example the UCS dotted-boxes-with-letters, because they are
control characters and will affect the text.

> I don't think there's any end to where this can go.  As Martin said,
> eventually you'd need a meta-meta-character to talk about the meta-character,
> and then it's not just a size problem, but an infinite-looping problem.

I do not follow the logic of this assertion. SPACE and SYMBOL FOR SPACE exist.
No infinite recursion is needed.