David Starner <prosfilaes at gmail dot com> wrote:

> I don't see these on the list of proposed scripts or on the roadmap,
> but Wikipedia*, citing a newsletter of the Alaska Rural Systemic
> Initiative**, that there is now a Inupaiq numeral system supporting a
> vigesimal counting system. The proposal seems trivial, except for the
> minor problem of establishing sufficient use to justify encoding. I
> propose columns 1C8x and 1C9x for encoding; if they have seen use, it
> certainly has been modern. I suppose it's more likely to get sent to
> the SMP, if it does get encoded.

The problem of establishing sufficient use will have to rely on more
than the Wikipedia article, which uses unquantified and uncited
expressions like "has gained wide use" and "is slowly gaining ground"
and "has helped to revive counting in Inuit." Even for 20 symbols, the
committees will likely want stronger evidence than this.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­