On 2019-01-26 12:18 AM, Asmus Freytag (c) responded:
On 1/25/2019 3:49 PM, Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Assuming some mechanism for italics is added to Unicode,  when converting between the new plain text and HTML there is insufficient information to correctly convert to HTML. many elements may have italic stying and there would be no meta information in Unicode to indicate the appropriate HTML element.

So, we would be creating an interoperability issue.

What happens now when we convert plain-text to HTML?