Does it also contrast with a circumflex? Historically, circumflexes were quite flexible in their graphical representation.
--Jörg Knappen
Gesendet: Dienstag, 30. April 2019 um 09:45 Uhr
Von: "Julian Bradfield via Unicode" <>
Betreff: acute-macron hybrid?
The celebrated Bosworth-Toller dictionary of Anglo-Saxon uses a
curious diacritic to mark long vowels. It may be described as a long
shallow acute with a small down-tick at the right.
It contrasts with an acute (quite steep in this typeface) used to mark
accented short vowels.
Both can be seen in the fifth line of the scan at

What is its appropriate Unicode representation?
As a lumper, I would use a macron, but I wonder what a splitter would

Reply via email to