I don't think this is anything more than a macron stylised a particular way
in this typeface.

All the transcriptions I've seen of Bosworth-Toller use a macron.


On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 10:43 AM Julian Bradfield via Unicode <
unicode@unicode.org> wrote:

> The celebrated Bosworth-Toller dictionary of Anglo-Saxon uses a
> curious diacritic to mark long vowels. It may be described as a long
> shallow acute with a small down-tick at the right.
> It contrasts with an acute (quite steep in this typeface) used to mark
> accented short vowels.
> Both can be seen in the fifth line of the scan at
> http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/png/oe_bosworthtoller/b0002.png
> What is its appropriate Unicode representation?
> As a lumper, I would use a macron, but I wonder what a splitter would
> say.

*James Tauber*
Eldarion <https://eldarion.com/> | Scaife Viewer
<https://scaife-viewer.org/> | jktauber.com (Greek Linguistics)
<https://jktauber.com/> | Modelling Music
<https://modelling-music.com/> | Digital
Tolkien <https://digitaltolkien.com/>
Subscribe to my email newsletter <https://buttondown.email/jtauber>!

Reply via email to