My history of learning Icon is,

Pre-Icon
 AWK         : My first programming Language
               "What a wonderful structure! associative array is."
Icon         : My second programming Language
 1) List     : "What a wonderful structure! list is."
 2) Generator: "Who needs a generator? How to use a generator?
                I'm enough with lists."
               After one and half year,
               "Oh! I missed wonderful features of the generator.
                It's a natural way to process data."
 3) Record   : "Who needs a Record? How to use a Record?
                I'm enough with lists."
               After two years,
               "Oh! I can use a Record in such a case."
 4) Alternation : Recently,
               "Oh! "|" sweeps down the spider web of "if then else" in my
                programs."
<now>
 5) Generator: "Can I use generators as filters like pipe/filter in O/S?
                Such a method will make easy to combine procedures and
                to process data streams."
<next>
 6) Co-Expression: "What a complicated concept! I cannot understand."
                  ("But I'll study Co-Expression.")

 Icon has many excellent features, but it takes me a long time
to understand them.

Thanks,
Hiroshi Shinohara