COMMUNITY ACTION ALERT--- Important

Sometime yesterday (Wed. Oct. 25, 2001) two prize ginko trees at 45th &
Baltimore were cut down at the behest of Sunoco.  There had been three
trees.  Only the middle one remains.  These are unusual-looking trees, very
identifiable by their odd branch and leaf structure.  The leaves turn
golden in the fall.

We noticed this crime last night upon returning home about 10PM.  It was
obvious that Sunoco had decided its two  large lighted signs could better
be viewed without the "nuicance" of the two trees obstructing them.

These were street trees, not privately-owned trees on Sunoco property.  As
such, they belong to us all collectively, and their removal or trimming
requires a permit from the Fairmount Park Commission.  Such a permit was
not -- and would not -- be issued.  The removal of these trees was both a
legal and a moral crime.  While we try to beautify our community by
planting hundreds of trees (i.e. the Walnut Street project, the up-coming
Chestnut St. project, and countless Baltimore Avenue-in-Bloom plantings --
not to mention numerous individual and block projects), we have a faceless
corporation disrespecting all of these efforts in the name of making their 
sign monstrosities more visible!

This is absolutely outrageous.  I have contacted our local Fairmount Park
arborist (Rich Sunday 610-352-8644). He will be checking out the complaint.
 A few more calls to him may not hurt, but may not help either.  I assume
he will do what he can to follow up. I gave him the info below.

 I contacted Sunoco Cust. Service (1-800-786-6261).  The address of the
Sunoco station is 4500 Baltimore Ave. (when they look it up on the
computer).  Sunoco admits that they did authorize the tree removal, but
refuses to say anything more, and refered me to the contractor: Barger  @
610-358-5240.

The Barger office manager (Jennifer Boris) says that, yes, Sunoco
contracted to have the trees removed.  Did not have any answer as to how
this could have been done without a permit. Got very defensive, and then
said Barger  actually sub-contracted it out.  Sounds like they know they're
in deep trouble, and laying groundwork for blame elsewhere.

I'm thinking out loud here: Can we organize to funnel TONS of protest calls
to Sunoco, to the contractor, to Blackwell's office, Fairmount Park exec.
director Bill Mifflin.  Should the police be contacted?  The local U.C.
Review, the Inquirer?  The 5 local news stations?  I think the more bad
publicity, the better.  I may have done some of these things myself by the
time you read this, but we always need multiple calls to get noticed. I
don't have some of these phone #s available yet. Maybe others can follow up
and post them to the listserve.

 We should not have to be wasting our time on these sorts of atrocities
time and again.  It does point out the difficulty of living in U.C. where
many outsiders (absentee landlords, etc.) strongly impact  our lives and we
can only react AFTER the damage is done.  Let's get together on this, and
force Sunoco to replant similar-sized trees. (Very expensive, but it can be
done).  That is the only acceptable solution (other than closing down the
station, which is on my dream-list).

Neil Lifson
----
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to the
list named "UnivCity." To unsubscribe, see <http://www.purple.com/list.html>.
Archive is at <http://www.mail-archive.com/>.

Reply via email to