I think we are again trying to determine "say" here.  Another way to count is 
by eligibility to vote.  For example, I own a rental property in Ocean City, 
NJ, but my voting residence is here in Philadelphia.  So, I get NO vote in 
Ocean City on any issue which affects me there (and they have preservation 
issues there too).  I am an absentee landlord.  It wouldn't matter how many 
"bricks" I have in comparison to my neighbors - I have NO vote.  Absentee 
landlords get no votes.

Here, I have several rental properties, plus I am registered to vote from my 
University City home.  So I get ONE vote, and only ONE, not one for each 
building or each unit or per a certain number of bricks.  Just ONE vote.  
Owners and landlords who live here get just one vote.

And the tenant who lives in the apartment in the back of my house can vote 
also - but if she chooses to keep her voter registration at her "home" 
address in another state, as many students do, then she gets NO vote.  
Tenants only get to vote if they consider themselves permanent enough to 
register where they are renters.

This is probably why owner occupants think they should have more "say" than 
others.  It seems to be the American way, based on voting.  Then there's the 
problem with people who don't register to vote even when they can, or don't 
bother to vote even when they register.  Although politicians would like to 
hear from them, we can't force them, and at some point we have to give up on 
trying to get them to participate.

Same thing with all of these people who "aren't included" in the HD 
discussion.  The opponents claim that there are large numbers who just don't 
want to speak up.  They have their chance - if they don't bother to speak up, 
how can we know they oppose the HD?  And how long should we wait to hear from 
them?

Melani Lamond
----
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to the
list named "UnivCity." To unsubscribe or for archive information, see
<http://www.purple.com/list.html>.

Reply via email to