[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
What's a fern bar?



Joe Clarke wrote:
I believe they were the style of restaurant that sprouted in the 1980's, usually characterized by a lot of hanging plants and quiche - which was new at the time - featured prominently on the menu. So a quiche and fern restaurant was a term used derogatively to describe the new restaurants that catered to Yuppies. I think that H.A. Winstons would have qualified as such.



Wilma de Soto wrote:
Actually, I was thinking of H.A. Winston's at the corner of 15th & Locust
Sts. back in the late 70's after Steve Poses had opened "Frog' and 'The
Commissary'.

Poses' restaurants 'heralded' the "Restaurant Revolution" in Philadelphia
and were the quintessential definition of the former 'ghetto-grunge-turned
upscale', "Fern Bar". Boston Ferns were quite fashionable then as well as
Tiffany-style lamps.





yes, wilma and joe have it right.

and when in doubt, it's always fun to check urbandictionary and wikipedia:

  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fern+bar

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fern_bar



..................
UNIVERSITY*CITOYEN
[aka laserbeam®]
[aka ray]
SERIAL LIAR. CALL FOR RATES.


































----
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to the
list named "UnivCity." To unsubscribe or for archive information, see
<http://www.purple.com/list.html>.

Reply via email to