In a message dated 10/6/2009 10:58:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, MLamond
writes:

I took  it home, scanned it, and got an email address for the Streets Dept.
 I  emailed them the scan BEFORE the time & date written on the ticket,
with a  full explanation of where & why I'd found it.  (I think that I also
pointed out that leaving a ticket at a clearly vacant property was unlikely to
 result in anyone noticing or paying it.)  It wouldn't have been possible
for the employee to easily explain getting both the date & time wrong when
she  wrote a ticket, and since I sent it by email, the actual date & time
were  clearly proven; she couldn't dispute what I was telling her supervisors.

No one responded to me, but later I heard indirectly that my  email caused
quite an upset for the ticketing team and resulted in  reassignments.  So if
you can, do the same if you ever get another  "early" ticket or warning.
Don't assume that the leadership knows what  the individual worker is doing
and it's part of a bigger  plan!
Melani:

Wow... attaway... you caught them red-handed and had a great  response.

I did fax Carleton Williams shortly after the guys brought in the notice
this morning. And I did tell him that the people who found the ticket in the
vestibule were the ones who went over there to set out the trash so it
couldn't  have been at the curb when the ticket was written 15 minutes or so
earlier. Not  as conclusive as what you were quick enough to realize would
"prove" your point  incontestably.

Incidentally, this does raise a question as to what rights city people have
 to go into the alleys to look at the trash. I can understand that if
overflowing  barrels are clearly visible from the street, they may (or may not)
be able to  write a legitimate code violation notice. But checking whether
recyclables are  separated from regular trash when it's all neatly bagged and
at the rear of our  property (we do this on Monday evening then set it out
on Tuesday to avoid  scavengers making a mess) is something else.

I know that in some cities, there's been a question of who owns the
recyclables. The general rule seems to be that the property owner owns the
stuff
until it's set out at the curb, at which time the city owns it. If this
applies,  then the "issuing officer" is trespassing if he or she went up into
the alley  and looked at or through the bags or barrels there.

Al Krigman