adamdea wrote:
> I apologise for my cluelessness. I have decided to enter into the world
> of linux and thought I would have a go running lms under debian wheezy
> with arch desktop on an old intel desktop 64 bit.
>
> I have managed to install LMS which appears to be running fine and
> appears in the browser. That said I do not have a player on the network
> where the debian machine is set up, and therefore can't actually play
> anything without squeezelite.
> i have installed the local player plugin which tells me that squeezelite
> is not running. I initially tried under 7.7.3 then installed 7.90 where
> it still doesn't work.  I tried installing squeezelite manually via
> arch, but the G debi intaller refused to install the only version I
> could find (I think this may have been because it called itself i386. I
> tried lots of different versions and couldn't get anythig to install.
>
> I tried followig the instructions here
> https://linux.freethenoise.com/logitechmediaserver/
>
> including udo wget
> http://squeezelite-downloads.googlecode.com/git/squeezelite-x86-64
> which appeared to do s-omething -. (whereas g debi installer refused to
> install that download.
>
> I tried to follow the instructions but couldn't work out how to  put the
> startup script in etc/init.d/squeezelite (Arch would allow me to create
> the relevant file at least i could not work out how to get the relevant
> permissions.)
>
> In short I am stumped. I have ticked the logging function in the local
> player settings, and have tried to set the option under the logging
> settings for local player to debug, but it doesn't seem to stick. all i
> get from the localplayer log is
>

> Starting Squeezelite:
> /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/LocalPlayer/Bin/squeezelite-x86-64
> -f /var/log/squeezeboxserver/localplayer.log
>
> Starting Squeezelite:
> /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/LocalPlayer/Bin/squeezelite-x86-64
> -f /var/log/squeezeboxserver/localplayer.log
>
> Starting Squeezelite:
> /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/LocalPlayer/Bin/squeezelite-x86-64
> -f /var/log/squeezeboxserver/localplayer.log
>
> Starting Squeezelite:
> /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/LocalPlayer/Bin/squeezelite-x86-64
> -f /var/log/squeezeboxserver/localplayer.log
>

> Can anyone help me to get squeezelite running. Apologies if I just seem
> dim.
Having installed the local player plugin, it should just run without any
special scripts.  What shows up in the LMS Settings, under Advanced,
Local Player?  Do you see a list of devices?  If not, there could be
user access issues.

LMS 7.9 on VortexBox Midi running Xubuntu 14.04, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps. Wired Touch + EDO, coax to Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC.
Wireless Xubuntu 14.04 laptop controls LMS via Chromium.   Meridian
Explorer USB DAC to listen via Squeezelite on Vortexbox & other PCs as
required.  Spare Touch in loft.