I don't know u-boot, tinycore and pCP enough to say what is possible in
terms of updates when the system runs.

The Pi has no traditional BIOS, the only thing it can do by itself is
test the SD, the USB and the network for boot media. The media includes
firmware and OS.
Since TinyCoreLinux is so compact, I don't think you can find much gain
in using some pivot OS on an SD.

Now, 'according to the Pi 3 boot description'
(https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/bootflow.md),
if the OS on your SD (pCP) had a "suicide" option that would remove
bootcode.bin, then on reboot the machine would look for media on the USB
or network to boot from.
And if such media was available and held a new version of the OS that
had a "persist to SD" option, you could reboot and write the new OS to
the SD. Unplug USB or ethernet, reboot again and you're done.

Many devices have some "maintenance" USB port, with Pi 3 you
theoretically could have either an USB or ethernet maintenance port.

Purely theoretical. As I said I'm short of everything (even SDs) so
testing is a bit cumbersome for me right now.

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.