I just want to circle back on this.  I finally had a chance to work on
getting IR remote working with my picoreplayer install.

THE FOLLOWING INSTALL ORDER WORKED PERFECTLY:
Fresh install.
Install and configure jivelite
Install lirc
Set lirc to use lirc1 (my old usb IR receiver uses lirc1)
Everything works as expected.  Yippie!

THE FOLLOWING INSTALL ORDER DID NOT WORK FOR ME
Fresh install.
Install lirc
Set lirc to use lirc1
I did not test IR/lirc.  Silly me.
Install and configure jivelite
IR does not work.
Uninstall and reinstall lirc
IR still does not work.
Remove jivelite
Remove lirc
Install lirc.
IR still does not work

Anyhow, FWIW the install order of jivelite and lirc support seemed to
matter.  I'm just happy I found and install order that works for me.

Thanks again for the help offered!

LMS Server:  VortexBox Virtual Machine running on ESXi server
2 SB Touch, 4 SB Radio, 2 PiCorePlayers with IQ Audio DAC+, 1
PiCorePlayer with usb ADL GT40 DAC