O.K., I swapped inputs to no avail. However, that gave me another
thought. I put the RPI in HDMI 1 and booted it. Again, it could not
connect to the router. So I left it in HDMI 1 and restarted the RPI. As
long as I switched ti to another input on the monitor before I let it
time out on finding a router, it connected.

So I'm still scratching my head...

Howard