ian_heys wrote:
> Has anyone used pCP 6.0.0 with an on board DAC. I was thinking in
> particular about the heat issues.
>
> I have a remote (from my router/NAS/Home PC) player/server using pCp
> 5.01 with an IQAudio DAC+ and a SSD music drive attached by USB 2.0.
>
> This works really well including playing  a growing number of .DSF files
> which are starting to  have a place in my collection.
>
> Updating the SSD music drive via samba is woefully slow due to USB2.0,
> the shared bus and in a small part due to the homeplug "500 MBpS"
> network between the NAS/Router/Home PC and the Server Player.
>
> I would like to upgrade the player/server to pCp 6.0.0 but a couple of
> issues present themselves:
>
> 1. All cases seem to be for the Pi4 only.
>
> 2. Would I need a GPIO extender cable and some offset nuts and bolts to
> attach the DAC to obviate any heat issues
>
> Has anyone any experience?
>
> Edit: IQAudio advise they are working on a case, but they haven't been
> happy with prototypes so far because of the heat issues.

Ian, I loaded up an IQAudio DAC+ onto a rpi4b (4gb).

It has pcp installed (running the default 32 bit kernel)

    piCorePlayer v6.0.0-b6 | linux 4.19.80-pcpCore_v7l | piCore v10.2pCP |
Squeezelite v1.9.6-1198-pCP
--------------------

I started playing "Stones in the Road".

I turned the pi on its long edge, with the audio outputs on the top.

The temperature bumped along at 51/52C.

At halfway through the album playback I returned it to the horizontal
position

The temperature averaged 55/56C

Added a gpio extender between the board and the dac.

I repeated the test with another album (Fat City).

The recorded temeratures were much the same.

Hope this is helpful

ronnie