Do you mean you went through this page https://hub.docker.com/_/perl/
and it mentions using Dockerfiles etc.?

To me, what that page says is that you can easily create your own image,
using perl:whatever as your base, and add and compile your code into it.
Which would be, in my mind, what the LMS nightly build process do.
The end user would only have to pull the resulting image, posted on
docker hub (or not)

I'll break out one of my pis, they have kernel 4.14 (buildroot), docker
(recent) and almost no trace of perl that I know of.
I'll pull an perl official image, I am pretty sure it'll require no
building at all and offer a reasonable sh environment when I run it.

2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 6 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone +
iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC
iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk
With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason
Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge
by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display,
SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.