Sorry to use this thread for my question, but I think it fits to the
discussion here:

I have a standalone Picoreplayer system with RasPi Zero W, set up as
wireless access point. It has a HDD connected and 7 inch touch display
with Jivelite. Everything is running fine, but connections and SD card
of the system are not really accessible :-(.

Nevertheless, as there have been some LMS updates since then and I would
like to use the new versions, I would like to access the internet once
to do all the updates via the 4G connection of my smartphone (smartphone
set as AP), and then switch back to access point mode.

So I wondered whether there is a headless way to switch from AP mode to
"normal" Wifi mode and back to AP mode. Any hints? Using ssh would not
be a problem, just the missing Ethernet connection is a problem.

Or would it be possible to set it up such that it searches for the Wifi
network to access during boot, and if that is not found, it sets up
itself as its own wireless access point?