Has anyone successfully coded and used a dbus client for upstart using
dbus-glib and talked to upstart?

We are not able to use dbus to connect to upstart.

I see the following comment and code in init/main.c

            /* Open connection to the system bus; we normally expect
this to

             * fail and will try again later - don't let ENOMEM stop us
though.

             */

            while (control_bus_open () < 0) {

                        NihError *err;

                        int       number;

                        err = nih_error_get ();

                        number = err->number;

                        nih_free (err);

                        if (number != ENOMEM)

                                    break;

            }

Dbus-daemon is started from a job file and the above code is executed
well before the job files are started.

I however don't see code any place else that tries to connect to
dbus-daemon later on as suggested in the comment above.

Is this functionality working or it needs to be fixed?

Thanks,

Sandeep