On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 23:55 -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:

>       This should be my last note for the night.
>       Doing performance tests with upstart and initctl I noticed that
> initctl reload eats up a ton of CPU cycles compared to initctl start
> or initctl when running in a while [ 1 ] bourne shell loop.

Do you mean that initctl uses more resources, or that init uses more
resources when executing the command?

reload is to reload all job definitions from disk, it's really quite
expensive compared to start - which just changes a job state.

>  We
> currently use initctl reload for getting new jobs loaded into upstart
> init; however, I was wondering whether or not:
> 1. The method of getting new job definitions was the best choice.

Upstart should reload them itself by watching the directory with
inotify.

> 2. Code coverage tests have been performed on upstart.

Yes, the existing test suite has high code coverage.

> 3. Optimizations have been discussed or planned for future minor
> revisions of upstart, s.t. better methods could be employed "under the
> covers" to reduce upstart's resource cost.

They have not been discussed, but are always welcome.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?