Hello,

On 12 December 2014 at 16:47, Michal Suchanek <hramr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I bootstrapped Debian wheezy chroot, installed upstart, cloned it to
> half dozen media, added kernel and bootloader to each, put it to
> machines for which these kernels are configured, and on two of them
> upstart does not boot the system.
>
> I can boot with init=/bin/bash
>
> /var/log/upstart is empty
>
> verbose upstart logs that mountall-net finished on the console init:
> startpar-bridge (mountall-net--stopped) state changed from post-stop
> to waiting
>
> network is brought up but sshd does not run
>
> getty on console does not run (not sure configuration is correct - had
> to hack it myself)
>
> upgrading to jessie does not solve the problem
>
> installing sysvinit makes system bootable
>
> on none of the machines plymouth works. It is somehow half-broken on Debian.
>
> These two broken machines have very different kernel sources so I am
> wondering if I am missing a kernel feature,
>
> What kernel features are required to run upstart? eg. udev package in
> Debian has a list of kernel symbols it checks and I had to add kernel
> feature to install jessie udev on the working machines.

In terms of kernel config, upstart should be resilient to most things
and thus fairly portable.

The best way to debug is to change tty1 job to "start on startup" and
boot with --verbose flag.
And make sure basic things are there - like e.g. unfortunately the way
upstart is integrated on Debian/Ubuntu it requires /etc/fstab to be
present.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.