On 18 December 2014 at 16:09, Michal Suchanek <hramr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 December 2014 at 15:50, Michal Suchanek <hramr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 15 December 2014 at 00:09, Dimitri John Ledkov <x...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

>>> In terms of kernel config, upstart should be resilient to most things
>>> and thus fairly portable.
>>>
>>> The best way to debug is to change tty1 job to "start on startup" and
>>> boot with --verbose flag.
>>
>> Indeed, changing ttyS0 to start on startup allows me to log in on the
>> console.
>> Remounting / readwrite by hand magically makes the boot process finish.
>>
>> Adding --verbose flag is recommended by the documentation but there is
>> no obvious way to  interpret the output:
>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/9551122/
>>
>> On both working and broken system fstab is present but empty.
>>
>> This is definitely not ideal.
>>
>> However
>>
>> 1) it is not the cause as the working system also has empty fstab
>
> So the cause is that the default for mounting root filesystem changed
> from readwrite to readonly between kernel versions. Upstart waits for
> / becoming writable so either mounting it rw to start with or
> remouting it by hand from console works.
>
>> 2) if it was the cause there should be an error reported so the user
>> can diagnose the failure
>
> Waiting indefinitely for / becoming writable should definitely trigger
> an error. It may be hard to tell in the upstart job system in general
> that nothing is being done for the filesystem to become accessible
> since some jobs are probably running and even if those jobs are
> permanent services rather than one time jobs there is no saying what
> the service is doing in the background.
>
> That said, the default job set has a specific script for mounting the
> / and if mounting / there does not happen it can print a warning.
> Unless the user supplied a different job for mounting a root
> filesystem boot has just failed.
>
>> 3) sysvinit can also boot with empty fstab - it does not really
>> contain any precious information
>
> Indeed, the / filesystem is already mounted so all that is required is
> to change it to readwrite. If init can handle that upstart should be
> able to do the same.

That sounds sensible. Upstart itself (pid 1) is simply awaiting
notification from mountall daemon to notify that root is available.
Thus a fix would need to be in mountall, to notice there is no config
for /, and either remount it rw (not sure if that is or isn't a change
of behariour, as one should specify on the kernel cmdline "rw") and
send the notification to upstart.

Could you file a bug report against mountall package about this? In
debian BTS or launchpad (ubuntu distribution, package mountall)

--
Regards,

Dimitri.