I am looking for ideas/suggestion on how, in live code, to obtain the public IP address of the computer a LiveCode standalone is running on.

hostName() returns the name of the computer.
hostNameToAddress(hostName()) return the IP address, such as 192.168.1.104, but (as in this case) if the system is behind a NAT device, like a typical internet router, all you get a is local address
DNSservers() can get you the IPs of the computers DNS servers

I can find no function to get the gateway address - i.e. the address of the router the computer is connected to.

Is the only approach to go after the real IP is to do so through a shell command? Or is there some clever LiveCode function I am missing?

--

Paul Dupuis
Cofounder