Also it may help to relate this back to our own language: what alignment should be used consistently for English text? Left? Are you sure? :)

In fact it's also common enough to align center (title), right (date), etc. Left is only the default. Each par (and even tab stops) must be able to inherit and override. It defaults for our convenience but is not chiseled in stone. Alignment is a paragraph property.

Arabic and Hebrew pages can be formatted too. RTL and LTR text can even exist on the same line of text. Thus alignment is ultimately up to the user (and to some extent the app designer) just as it is with LTR text.

In Richmond's experiment I assume that the Google RTL text was either implicitly right aligned or inside an aligned UI container, while the RTF source was explicitly aligned at the par level. If so, both pastes make good sense!

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
"Better Methods, Better Results"