Try to start the url with «file:/// <file:///>« this is what I get at the start
of the url of a browser widget when i set the url from a script using «answer
file» to navigate to any valid html file:

on mouseUp

answer file "Choose html file to display"

set url of widget "browser" to it

end mouseUp

Tore