For the many questions that have arisen regarding TIOBE's methodology:

As a general rule, I ignore any ranking or polling publisher who doesn't disclose their methodology. Thankfully TIOBE is not among those.

As JB already posted earlier, TIOBE publishes their definition on this page, linked to from near the top of the Index page:

   https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/programming-languages-definition/

Additionally, there's an FAQ in the bottom portion of the Index page I'd linked to, which provides some further useful background:

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

Like any means of assessing complex multivariate phenomena in a single index, no doubt their ranking is imperfect. But it's become an industry go-to because so far it's the best we have.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems