YEs indeed.

I thought i read somewhere that Joomla also wanted (or is already) to support it as cms.

great!

Op 18-11-2019 om 17:29 schreef hh via use-livecode:
Jjs wrote; Nice, thank you. I noticed it. But they are not used very
much yet. Also for jpeg are some extra formats.
TMHO it doesn't really matter what's used in the web. The purpose of
webP is, if you have a lot of images/large images, that these load
much faster from a server or use less size in your stack/standalone.

WebP-Tool is simply a bridge to the future LC version that can read
in and write out webP images. Especially:

     set the paintcompression to WEBP

will be then implemented. Hopefully rather sooner than later.