I've tested this by locking up a core using the IDE by putting it in a loop.

But no other process gets locked up, because my OS correctly does not
assign the busy core to any other process.  So all other applications and
windows are still responsive.

EXCEPT in a situation when the Livecode IDE is running a particular stack
AND there is a Standalone version of that stack running at the same time.
(these 2 are seperate processes BUT......)

In that case .... the system is assigning both the standalone and the IDE
(and its running stack) to the same core.....and both of them become
unresponsive.

My question is why there is a correlation between the two, and why the
standalone isn't being assigned one of the other 3 available cores....but
always the same core as the IDE.

If its a different stack open in the IDE....... the standalone is correctly
assigned to another core.

I don't know how else to explain the problem.  Forgive me if I am not
clearly explaining it.

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 7:15 PM Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <
use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:

> I’m on a quad-core Intel Xeon E5 (Mac Pro) and LC 8 could definitely lock
> up the machine. Only with difficulty could I eventually force LC to quit.
>
> Peter Bogdanoff
>

> > On Dec 26, 2019, at 3:31 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:
> >
> > I ahould have saif multiple cores not both.
> >
> >> On Dec 26, 2019, at 14:14 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> On the machine, or on the core? LC should only be using a single core
> on Multi-core systems. Any other process using that core may be affected,
> but not necessarily processes using the other core. It may be academic
> though, as most apps today are probably using both cores simultaneously.
> >>
> >> Bob S

> periodically. This was an issue all the way back to MetaCard and I am not
> sure if it has been changed since then.

> the loop exits. If this is the problem then it isn't just your standalone
> that comes to a halt, it's everything currently running on the machine.

Tom Glod
Founder & Developer
MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
Office:226-706-9339