David,

thank you - that's a kind and generous offer to Zoom / pair on it. However, since the immediate problem is solved, I'd rather take a raincheck, and keep your offer in my back pocket for some future time I have a problem.

Summary of this case - when you do resizing based on groups, you should be sure to have the lockLocation of the groups set true.

I had a silly typo
   set the top of something to the bottom of another+10
and I had
   set the top of something to the bottom of another+1000

If lockLocation had been set, that would have been trivially obvious, and fixed in 30 seconds. However, it wasn't, so the group grew out of scale and obscured  most of the window, including where the problematic controls should have been - so I couldn't see they had gone astray..

And by bad luck, when I started adding "put .... to msg" statements, I happened to span a bit of code that *only* tried to change X coordinates, and was actually changing Y coords (because of group inclusion). So I spent a long time down a rabbit hole of trying to see find which code could be doing that, not realizing this "feature" that changing one dimension would expand both dimensions of the group.

Thanks again,

Alex.

P.S. any thoughts on another group Zoom for Livecoders ? Haven't heard more from Heather (and they may be busy), so maybe we should try to arrange a community get-together ?